Author Topic: Simoun  (Read 37831 times)

UNtrue Noir

• Sexy Jodie Extremist
  • True Fan
  • SHOCKU!
    • View Profile
Simoun
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:56:06 PM »
Well, after reading a brief synopsis about the new shoujo-ai anime Simoun, I decided to check it out.

Now I'm hooked, and well. I know there are more than three English fansubs out there, I just don't know where to look.

Anyone have an idea?
What am I supposed to say? 'Hi my name is Jodie, I like watching sunsets, taking long walks on the beach, oh and I'm smoking hot'?

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Simoun
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »
Well, personally I'm not following this show and I'm not curious to give it a try... but I can give you some anime torrent sites! That's the least I can do! :)

www.animesuki.com

www.baka-updates.com

www.tokyotosho.com

UNtrue Noir

• Sexy Jodie Extremist
  • True Fan
  • SHOCKU!
    • View Profile
Simoun
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:34:35 PM »
Ahh, thanks! :D
What am I supposed to say? 'Hi my name is Jodie, I like watching sunsets, taking long walks on the beach, oh and I'm smoking hot'?

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
Re: Simoun
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »
Ok, I've just finished the first ep and I'm hooked, too. :) Right now the series reminds me of Candidate for Goddess and RahXephon. CfG has the same seemingly peaceful but really sad atmosphere and RahXephons simply has a similar mecha principle, just that Xephones and Dolems sing, while the Simouns draw. :)

PS: The bad thing is that there are only 3 subbed eps, while the rest are raws. :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:24:11 AM by Koveras »

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
More fansub groups should be jumping on the bandwagon soon.

Check the Animesuki thread for text subs, summaries, and news in general. Currently there are sub files out for 4, 8, 9, and 10, for use in combination with the raws.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 11:32:04 AM by fignae »

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 01:08:56 PM »
Check the Animesuki thread for text subs, summaries, and news in general. Currently there are sub files out for 4, 8, 9, and 10, for use in combination with the raws.

Ouch, that thread has over half a thousand entries. How are we supposed to find the sub files there?.. :( Btw, what is the point of translating 8+ eps when 5, 6 and 7 are not? %) But thank you, anyway.

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:59:16 AM »
Ouch, that thread has over half a thousand entries. How are we supposed to find the sub files there?.. :( Btw, what is the point of translating 8+ eps when 5, 6 and 7 are not? %) But thank you, anyway.

20 x 29 = 580, oh yeah. :)

The point was... well, Hashihime was doing it for fun, because she enjoyed the episodes so much, and only started with 8, heh.

Sub files:
Link to link for ep 4 sub
Hashihime subs

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 07:13:41 AM »
Thanks, I'll try to get them ASAP... Though I have this strange feeling that getting Roots 10 will be much easier. %)

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »
just finished ep. 4.

Ok, now there is now thing I know for sure: this is no military fiction. In normal military sci-fi, the Aeru would have to stand before tribunal for her actions. %) And she would be somewhat better trained for hand-to-hand ground combat or at least have some personal firearms. I mean, it's not like they are flying in space and neither are the Simouns all-terrain combat machines...

But I've got to admit, the girl has got guts. :) As of now she looks like the only one who is actually capable of fighting on the whole carrier ship.

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 12:17:23 AM »
Ok, now there is now thing I know for sure: this is no military fiction.

Nope. I've started calling it shoujo anime, more interested in character relationships than plot. The one continuous plot arc appears to be the cohesion and growth of the central flying team. Whether there is another remains to be seen; they could go into global politics but I don't know how that would tie up.

But the tribunal? Aaeru didn't report their actions to the higher-ups. Their encounter was not discovered, wherefore the trial?

The craft were used for prayer and ceremony before they became fighter planes, and most of the Sibylla were originally priestesses, hence the lack of combat experience. They still aren't viewed as soldiers.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 05:25:31 AM »
Nope. I've started calling it shoujo anime, more interested in character relationships than plot. The one continuous plot arc appears to be the cohesion and growth of the central flying team. Whether there is another remains to be seen; they could go into global politics but I don't know how that would tie up.

They better should... For an 26-ep anime series with a single major plotline is kinda... sub-standard. :)

But the tribunal? Aaeru didn't report their actions to the higher-ups. Their encounter was not discovered, wherefore the trial?

First, she charged into battle endangering herself and her machine without even being officially appointed as a member of the crew. Ok, that was the first time, so it could be forgiven. But next, she took the best and highly classified military fighter jet and used it to practice without permission. Two times in a row! I mean, they ought to have war-time laws out there... And during a war any behaviour like this is classified as sabotage and high treason - with all due consequences.

I'm sorry for all this lamenting, but I am a self-appointed military sci-fi expert, so I can't watch the genre canons being bent so badly. %)

The craft were used for prayer and ceremony before they became fighter planes, and most of the Sibylla were originally priestesses, hence the lack of combat experience. They still aren't viewed as soldiers.

Which is why I sympathize with Aeru so much. %) And I don't envy her... But still, unless the guys realize that prayers won't help help them much, they are gonna lose the war. War is about cutting off enemy's hands when they don't let go. :)

UNtrue Noir

• Sexy Jodie Extremist
  • True Fan
  • SHOCKU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
War is about cutting off enemy's hands when they don't let go. :)

Heh. That's funny. Although it was heartbreaking to see what's-her-face crying behind the bush.

Now, about Aeru's unauthorized flying.. The higher-ups are most likely desperate to have as many priestesses (I'm not sure 'soldier' is the right word) as they can, seeing as how so many of them left to go to the fountain. Not only that, but Aeru volunteered to join in the war, unlike everyone else, who just happened to be able to fly a Simoun. 'Someone who knows what dangers lie ahead of them' (paraphrased) but still joins is kind of rare to find. So maybe they just keep letting it slide to make sure she doesn't leave the Tempest Spatium.

Whoo. *exhale* I hope I did this right. It's been a while since I've gotten kind of deep into something.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:46 AM »
Heh. That's funny. Although it was heartbreaking to see what's-her-face crying behind the bush.

Crying is a right thing to do, but only when you, your comrade and your machine are safe on board of your mothership. I've just watched Starship Troopers - the contrast is... staggering.

Now, about Aeru's unauthorized flying.. The higher-ups are most likely desperate to have as many priestesses (I'm not sure 'soldier' is the right word) as they can, seeing as how so many of them left to go to the fountain. Not only that, but Aeru volunteered to join in the war, unlike everyone else, who just happened to be able to fly a Simoun. 'Someone who knows what dangers lie ahead of them' (paraphrased) but still joins is kind of rare to find. So maybe they just keep letting it slide to make sure she doesn't leave the Tempest Spatium.

That's the most likely explanation. :)

Whoo. *exhale* I hope I did this right. It's been a while since I've gotten kind of deep into something.

In fact, you did very well. :) You seem really into the series already. ;)

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:20:48 AM »
They better should... For an 26-ep anime series with a single major plotline is kinda... sub-standard. :)

Depends on what you consider a plot. In my view, most anime can be distilled down to one major plotline.

First, she charged into battle endangering herself and her machine without even being officially appointed as a member of the crew. Ok, that was the first time, so it could be forgiven. But next, she took the best and highly classified military fighter jet and used it to practice without permission. Two times in a row! I mean, they ought to have war-time laws out there... And during a war any behaviour like this is classified as sabotage and high treason - with all due consequences.

Heh, I had no idea. So the Simoun pilots aren't under Earth-like military law due to their country's need for them, even if they have to defer to authority after some point. They are, for the same reason, given the indulgence normally given to valued children. I'll admit that Aaeru's attitude seemed a tad obnoxious at first, but it eased off.

But still, unless the guys realize that prayers won't help help them much, they are gonna lose the war. War is about cutting off enemy's hands when they don't let go. :)

Well said, and good guess.

The Tempus Spatium is their god, by the way.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:23:37 AM by fignae »

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »
Depends on what you consider a plot. In my view, most anime can be distilled down to one major plotline.

AFAIK there are usually two major plotlines - character relationship development and the actual plot, describing what happens "outside" people's souls and minds, in the physical world. And that physical part is what I miss in Simoun. :)

Heh, I had no idea. So the Simoun pilots aren't under Earth-like military law due to their country's need for them, even if they have to defer to authority after some point. They are, for the same reason, given the indulgence normally given to valued children. I'll admit that Aaeru's attitude seemed a tad obnoxious at first, but it eased off.

Yeah, that's how it is on our Earth... And in other animes, by the way. :) In Eva, for example, Shinji was thrown out after defying the commander's orders. In RahXephon, Ayato was charged with high treason. I think, the most appropriate comparison here would be Candidate for Goddess (the series are pretty similar IMO), where candidates were forgiven for their misdeeds because so few of them had EX. But then, again, they didn't go that far!

And Aaeru is the only character I like this far (except for that soldier in ep. 4) - because of her attitude. %)

Well said, and good guess.

What do you mean? Did I guess the plot development already? %)

The Tempus Spatium is their god, by the way.

Yes, I've read that on Wiki. %) They have a very comprehensive and spoiler-free world guide there. :)