Author Topic: The third series announced!!! "El Cazador"  (Read 94555 times)

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
The third series announced!!! "El Cazador"
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
Just saw this on http://www.animenewsservice.com/ and my heart stopped:

1-6-07 (12:47PM EST)---- Unofficial Noir / Madlax Sequel - El-Cazador

Scheduled to begin broadcast in April, 2007 is the El-Cazador anime TV series. Confirmed staff include Dirtector: Koichi Mashimo (Noir, Eat Man, .Hack), Character Designs: Yoko Kikuchi (Noir), Series Composition: Kanemaki Kenichi (Jigoku Shoujo), Music: Yuki Kajiura (Noir, Eat Man, . Hack), Animation Production: Bee Train. Official Site: www.elcazador.tv. The story centers on characters Ellice and bounty hunter Nadi. Following Noir and Madlax, this will be the thrid installment in a series of what Director Koichi Mashimo has referred to as his girls-with-guns genre trilogy. Look for spreads and images in the current crop of anime magazines making their way into Japanese retail outlets this next week.

:o

Nothing on the website just yet, but I'll be watching it closely...

A quick round of Google shows "El Cazador" to be an American comic book by Chuck Dixon  about a female pirate captain -- but the names don't match the announcement, so I think it's just a coincidence.

It would also seem to be a famous shipwreck.

Means "The Hunter" in Spanish (according to Bablefish; anyone more versed in Spanish feel free to interject with any subtleties it might imply), so there's a number of movies with that in the title.

Moonphase is a little more terse on the subject:

2007/04 (*) エル・カザド   監督 : 真下耕一 / キャラデザ : 菊池洋子
シリーズ構成 : 金巻兼一 / アニメ制作 : ビィートレイン

Which bablefish comes up with as:
2007/04 (*) L kazado   
Supervision: Koichi under truth/ kiyaradeza: Youko Kikuchi
Series constitution: Gold volume and one/animation production: biitorein

That's all I'm able to find online so far.  I'm going to check the forums next.

Ahh, reading animesuki, there's more to Moonphase that I was missing!  Here's a pic:

...hopefully better pics soon.

Translation of the diary item (via google):
With suspicion of murder, the large sum [erisu] which the 懸 [ke] and others [re] [te] is encounters with [nadei] of the prize income in reverse side society. If you become aware, [nadei] which has become the predicament where by your are chased from the hunters volunteers role of the guide in [erisu] where we would like to pinpoint past truth. It follows to “NOIR” “MADLAX”, the completion compilation of the Koichi director beauty girl cancer/gun action third section work under the truth.
Sure, whatever.  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 04:00:19 PM by Fellini 8.5 »
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Re: The third series announced!!! "El Cazador"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »
Hm... Some guy posted the title on the Pedia this morning but it wasn't sourced so I didn't pay much attention... What confused me was that El Cazador is the title of an existing comic book while the previous two works were original. But you say, it's probably a coincidence? May well be, seeing that Madlax was a totally unrelated company's name long before 2004...

Anyway, if that is indeed what we hope it to be... my, I'm gonna throw a party when the official PR comes out!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 05:01:26 PM by Koveras »

Matrim

• True Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »
Awesome!
I am the pain when you touch the truth.

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »
A couple of more tidbits about Kanemaki Kenichi from what I found on ANN...

He wrote "Agent Aika" and some of it's slightly-less-hentai-esque sequel "Najica Blitz Tactics".  Both are very fun, albiet very R-rated-racy fanservicefests, girls-with-guns series.  I've been in the middle of rewatching Najica lately, and I've got to post a surprise from "Aika" in the "Lookalike" thread  -- quite a shocker there.

Also wrote a lot of "Saber Marionette", among other things.

I'm not familiar with many of the other things he had a substantial role in, though. So I don't know what this bodes.  But with the Najica/Aika connection, I'm guessing this one may tend a bit "lighter".  Though I doubt it will go as far in the blatant "fanservice" department, as that would break one of the underpinnings of the trilogy thus far.
Fellini 8.5

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 06:34:50 PM »
Speaking of which, ANN has got an entry on the topic already... I could've sworn it wasn't there when I checked this morning. :) Plus, apparently, someone started an entry on the AniDB but it got deleted (ID=4966)...

Oh, BTW I've watched this Kenichi guy's "Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" and was quite happy with the plot complexity. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 06:40:40 PM by Koveras »

Mihura

• ~(^o^~)
  • True Fan
  • (~^o^)~
    • View Profile
    • http://animemore.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »
OMG that is great  ;D , I was so happy to see the next production will be in April. Well to me “The Hunter" is the right translation for "El Cazador" I’m Portuguese so my language and Spanish are very similar.

I hope the fanservice part is just a coincidence, but to tell the true he has a lot in his previews work and for freaking out more about it, I can not believe he had done Labyrinth of Flames script, that is like the worst OVA I ever seen in my whole life with tons of stupid fanservice. I have a bad feeling about this and the name "El Cazador" is very poor, it sound to me like a Mexican movie with a lot of crazy action, I was expecting something better for the supposedly third series.

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »
A couple of more tidbits about Kanemaki Kenichi from what I found on ANN...

He wrote "Agent Aika" and some of it's slightly-less-hentai-esque sequel "Najica Blitz Tactics". 
The "Agent Aika" connection continues...  Apparanetly, Yoko Kikuchi actually was a character designer of both Aika and Noir... and when you see my post in the near future, you'll see just how insane that is.   :o

Quote from: Mihura
I have a bad feeling about this and the name "El Cazador" is very poor, it sound to me like a Mexican movie with a lot of crazy action
ha-ha-ha-ha!   :D  I was going to post a few examples of crazy-action Mexican (and Argentinian) movies that I found via Google, but yeah, you pretty much called it!

Oh, and Yoko Kikuchi was involved in "Labyrinth of Flames" as well....   :-[  Uh-oh...

Fellini 8.5

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »
 ZOMG!!!!!!!111111111 :o :o :o This is great!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D Geez, I turn around for just a little bit and I miss the biggest scoop ever since this fansite was born! gah :P You know for a second there I almost thought this "third one" was just a mith!!! ^^; I almost can't believe it! Oh wow! Cool! Go Bee-Train! You made my day! I'm very very happy like I haven't been in a while! ^^

Now, after the initial shock *ahem*... ^^; like Mihura said, "El Cazador" means "The Hunter" indeed! Maybe it should be pointed out that it refers specifically to the masculine form of the word, implying the hunter is supposed to be a male... I wonder if that's relevant... :P
 Anyway, I'm very excited with the Staff!!! As for what I could sort out from the story I suppose the tall girl must be some sort of bounty hunter so the short girl would be the one in the wanted poster? Notice the tall one has long hair and the other one has short hair!!! Heh, I'm loving this!!! ;D I could bet the short one will be voiced by Houko Kuwashima!!! ;D

I have a bad feeling about this and the name "El Cazador" is very poor, it sound to me like a Mexican movie with a lot of crazy action, I was expecting something better for the supposedly third series.

Heh, it might sound lame cuz we're so familiar with the language that it sounds cheap or cheesy, but for the japanese it must be extremelly cool sounding! And yeah, I also think it has this western feel to it, but that doesn't say a thing about the depth of the story and characters, all we have is a setting! But think of what Bee-Train can do with a western setting!!! ;D We should at least give it the benefict of the doubt don't you think? :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:33:17 AM by MartAnimE »

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 05:07:53 AM »
Well, Western setting is nothing particularly bad per se... Look at what Joss Whedon has made out of it - you think Mashimo isn't, at least, just as good? ;)

Thanks so much for the link, Marta! It looks like the "Hunters" are actually the Soldats/Enfant of the series... OMG, they've used Spanish instead of French - blasphemy!  ;D

PS: Here is a more condensed link:

http://www.moedosed.com/2007/01/06/「noir」-→-「madlax」-→-「el-cazador」-site-news/

PPS: Oh, and that site has actually got an entry on "Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora"! What else can one wish for? %)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:17:22 AM by Koveras »

Mihura

• ~(^o^~)
  • True Fan
  • (~^o^)~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:00:56 AM »
Heh, it might sound lame cuz we're so familiar with the language that it sounds cheap or cheesy, but for the japanese it must be extremelly cool sounding! And yeah, I also think it has this western feel to it, but that doesn't say a thing about the depth of the story and characters, all we have is a setting! But think of what Bee-Train can do with a western setting!!! Grin We should at least give it the benefict of the doubt don't you think? Smiley

Well that is actually right because to Japanese the Spanish language is something obscure and exotic but I was talking about my first impression because that was what I felt when I first see the title and the picture.

I have to admit that the Western setting and the synopsis is make me believe that this is going to be really different from the previews ones, we don’t have any French connection, no amnesia people so diversity is kind of welcome, maybe it could turn to be  good.

PPS: Oh, and that site has actually got an entry on "Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora"! What else can one wish for? %)

Isn't that like the unofficial sequel of Kannazuki no Miko? lol I like the artwork but the storyline of Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora seem to suck big time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:36:45 AM by Mihura »

Cyberia

• True Fan
    • View Profile
    • Anime Music Video
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 10:04:16 AM »
Yeah  :D my first thought was Cowboy Bepop as I saw the pic.

The music is from our Yuki so of course it would be fine  :P

I'm all on edge how they realize this genre "Western"
.. le noir, ce mot designe depuis une epoque lointaine le nom du destin. les deux vierges regnent sur la mort. les mains noires protegent la paix des nouveaux-nes...

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »
I have to admit that the Western setting and the synopsis is make me believe that this is going to be a really different from the previews ones, we don’t have any French connection, no amnesia people so diversity is kind of welcome, maybe it could turn to be a good.

Well, as for the french connection, maybe they will have some sort of oil platform in the middle of the desert that resembles the Eiffel Tower! ^^;
 Oh, and I think Ellis, the wanted girl, might be an amnesiac! In that synopsis they say "She meets up with a bounty hunter named Nadi who offers her help and guidance to pursue the truth of her past"! I suppose it would be expected of someone who pursues the truth of her past to be an amnesiac! :)

It looks like the "Hunters" are actually the Soldats/Enfant of the series... OMG, they've used Spanish instead of French - blasphemy!  ;D

Well it is a bit disapointing that the "enemy organization french name" rule doesn't confirm. :P We still have no official confirmation if the bad guys' organization name is gonna be named "hunters" (as it was refered to in that synopsis), or "El Cazador" (most probably ^^; ), which would sound weird when refering to a group, since it's a singular name, though Madlax's "Enfant" is a singular name too so I guess it's acceptable... :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:36:53 AM by MartAnimE »

Mihura

• ~(^o^~)
  • True Fan
  • (~^o^)~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
Oh, and I think Ellis, the wanted girl, might be an amnesiac! In that synopsis they say "She meets up with a bounty hunter named Nadi who offers her help and guidance to pursue the truth of her past"! I suppose it would be expected of someone who pursues the truth of her past to be an amnesiac! Smiley

Well yes, perhaps is something like that but it has a good chance to be related with the murder, like Mireille story she wasn't amnesiac but she like Ellis “pursues the truth of her past.”

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
Well yes, perhaps is something like that but it has a good chance to be related with the murder, like Mireille story she wasn't amnesiac but she like Ellis “pursues the truth of her past.”

Yup indeed, though I'm assuming the wanted girl is gonna be the "kirika character" of this series, so being amnesiac should be sort of a requirement! The fact she's wanted for murder by this criminal organization makes me think she might have been framed by them! Or maybe she trully did murder someone and she just doesn't remember it...