Author Topic: New Mashimo interview  (Read 4006 times)

Matrim

• True Fan
    • View Profile
New Mashimo interview
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
I think this has not been posted yet. If I am wrong just delete it.

Anyway, here goes (copied from animesuki) :

*Taken from NTUSA April 2007, vol. 7, no. 4:

The main characters.:

Ellis: Ellis possesses the genetically engineered "witch" DNA. She's currently wanted for the murder of Dr. Heinz Schneider.

Nadie: This lively bounty hunter seems like the poster child for the 'Don't worry be happy" approach to life, but her cheery optimism belies a dark past - she's the only survivor of a terrible massacre in her hometown. Her favorite weapon is a old .45-caliber Colt Government pistol.

The third feature in the trilogy of girls and guns.

STORY:
Wanted for murder, 'Ellis is on the run with a hefty price on her head in underground circles. Lucky for her, an encounter with a bounty hunter named 'Nadie' sets them both on the lam, and the two end up travelling together. 'Nadie', plays tour guide as 'Ellis' searches for answers to the mysteries of her forgotten past.

[KM] "During an inteview, I accidently blurted out something about [Noir and Madlax being part of] a 'trilogy', which forced me to follow through and actually make a thrid installment!" When I told [Victor Entertainment producer Shigeru] Kitayama about it, he suggested a suspense-filled chase story.

I said I wanted to do something more like a witch hunt, and from there we gathered ideas from the staff and hashed out the rest of the basic setup - the world, th emood and the feel of the characters." [KM]

[NTUSA] The "witch hunt" that the director is thinking of here isn't the usual simplistic story of an unjustly accused woman standing up to persecution. Main character 'Ellis' is branded a "witch," but all that means in the context of this story is that she's different from normal people - she's got something called "witch DNA". As 'Mashimo' puts it, [NTUSA]

[KM] "the word 'witch' is being used as a symbol of unorthodoxy. It refers to a so-called 'heretic', but my 'witches' are pure and innocent. Like Noir and Madlax, 'El Cazador is just a tale of ordinary girls coming of age in a somewhat less than-ordinary set of circumstances. This time though, I'm emphasizing it more than ever.

Personality-wise, Ellis is quiet and subdued, while her travelling companion Nadie is vibrant and energetic. At first glance they seem like complete opposites, but both girls feel empty inside, their hearts bruised and scarred.

'Ellis' and 'Nadie' interact with the people around them in different ways, but they're both quite fragile deep down.

What I want is for the audience to be able to identify with their struggle against the adults of the criminal underworld who wheel and deal at the girls' expense." [KM]

[NTUSA:] In keeping with the Latin American setting, 'El Cazador' has a lighter more positive feel than it's ultra serious sisters, although it still deal with some fairly weighty topics. [NTUSA]

[KM] "Weve tried a lot of new things and took on many new challenges in order to fine-tune the characters and the overall mood of the show. Everyone on the staff wants this one to be a worthy final chapter in the 'trilogy', and we're giving it our all." [KM]

Not too sure if I like this innocence and purity of the main characters but let's see how things unfold.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:48:44 PM by Matrim »
I am the pain when you touch the truth.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Re: New Mashimo interview
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:08:52 AM »
Well, this thing confirms some of my theories. :)

Not too sure if I like this innocence and purity of the main characters but let's see how things unfold.

See my current signature. %) Anyway, depending on the point of view, Kirika and Madlax may both be seen as "pure and innocent", in a way where they are forced to commit crimes but suffer for it by lynching themselves on the inside. :) So it's not like they are doing anything THAT new...

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »
Ah, interesting clarifications with this one.  I'm also guessing that what he means by "purity" probably isn't quite so literal, and that he's got that definition applied to the other series as well.

Quote from: Mashimo
[KM] "During an inteview, I accidently blurted out something about [Noir and Madlax being part of] a 'trilogy', which forced me to follow through and actually make a thrid installment!"

That's awesome!   ;D
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »
[KM] "During an inteview, I accidently blurted out something about [Noir and Madlax being part of] a 'trilogy', which forced me to follow through and actually make a thrid installment!"

That's awesome!   ;D

Too bad he hadn't "blurted out" "a pentalogy" or "a heptalogy". :(

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »
Probably should note that the interview was translated by 'chrno'. I was rather grateful for it. :)

Oh, silly me. It was in an English magazine. *shoots self*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:41:42 AM by fignae »

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:21 PM »
Actually, I think he just transcribed it, as that's the translated interview posted in this month's NewType USA.  Which I still haven't had a chance to go to the bookstore to pick up yet.  Supposedly there's some .hack//Roots stuff in there as well.

Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

That's awesome!   ;D

Yeah definitely! ;D I wonder if he stumbled across all the fan speculation over the internet and somehow felt kinda obliged to keep up his word... ^^;