Author Topic: [LGR] MADLAX Volume 2 (w/ possible spoilers)  (Read 2660 times)

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
[LGR] MADLAX Volume 2 (w/ possible spoilers)
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:20:16 AM »
Disc 2 takes the initial introduction of the universe and starts to drag us on a proverbial "deep dive" into the reality it tries to create.

Episode 5 -- The way Limelda says "yoquai" after a round of Carrosseaur-doing's; that was totally awesome.   8)  But as I said before, now we get a bit o' Chris Krana, and isn't it kind of weird that Ming Dulc looks quite a bit like the detective-dude from ep 4?

But we also get into the bit where I feel the official translation missed a charming piece of the dialog.  Unfortunately, I don't have the abilty to confirm for real.  But when Madlax and Chris are hanging out in the hotel room, and there's the exchange o' "Baka", Madlax -- in the fansubs -- says "but I don't hate that".  Which is an awesome thing to say.  The "official" translation goes along the lines of "but I don't hate people like you", which kind of sucks.

Episode 6 -- This is where we learn just how totally awesome Eleanor is.  And, of course, we get a dose of melodrama and tear-jerker when we get a taste of her chibified past.  But it's all worth it when she goes totally ninja-maid on the Sarksified on-the-prowl-dude who tries to force himself on our favorite Little Miss Clueless.  Her and Vanessa posing there in the dusk as a challenge to the Dorkus Maximus is quite satisfying.  You go, girls!

Eps 7 & 8 -- the Eric Gillian "bibliodetective" arc.  Eric had a great line in #7, which I'll blend a bit of fansub with the official:  "I got myself convinced by a cute young lady".  That scruffy, cranky old dude reminds me of me in a few ways...  Heh.

But there are a few other things about these episodes that have always bugged me.  The opening, where you see the original archaeological crew, make it seem like Eric is the one who did all the crazy shooting.  But when we get to his guilt, it's totally unrelated.  The laugh, though, is entirely Mr. Extended Weekend(TM) himself, isn't it?  So maybe it was just the usual "huge tease", and the two separate identities really are what they seem to be.  Still, it's kind of disappointing. 

But this is where we first (and lastly) hear of the whole "cannabanoids" deal, which either means that we're not smoking enough maryjane to understand what's going on, or it's an early attempt at explaining why Margaret and Carrouseur have no idea what happened.

Still, we get lots of little hints, but no answers in any way, shape or form with this bit of exposition.

In this disc, we also get to see more scenes of the past, in the form of Margaret's dreams.   Pages of the book flying around, the first appearance of Col' Burton (who looks a lot like the geometry teacher, eh?), and various other continuity problems that get put aside when we get further along.  Which is fine; dreams are dreams after all, so it's totally justifiable.

That's about it for tonight...  I wish I could get further along, and I'll have to make up for it on Monday.

Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

Section_8

• Master of Grapes
  • True Fan
  • El Cazador Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: [LGR] MADLAX Volume 2 (w/ possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
But this is where we first (and lastly) hear of the whole "cannabanoids" deal, which either means that we're not smoking enough maryjane to understand what's going on, or it's an early attempt at explaining why Margaret and Carrouseur have no idea what happened.

I file this one under midichlorians. They tease with a scientific explanation then hit you with the magic stick. Then again, they could be the biochemical end of the magical manipulation. Hmm...more evidence that Margaret could have saved everyone a lot of trouble through Prozac!

the first appearance of Col' Burton (who looks a lot like the geometry teacher, eh?),

...Agggh! Aaghhhhaaaaahhhh! Aaagh!
Three a.m. is a wonderful time / when the terrors of sound come alive.

I know not whence that came.

Teufel

• True Fan
  • My grunty's cooler than your grunty
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Series: .hack//SIGN
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:45:41 AM »
But we also get into the bit where I feel the official translation missed a charming piece of the dialog.  Unfortunately, I don't have the abilty to confirm for real.  But when Madlax and Chris are hanging out in the hotel room, and there's the exchange o' "Baka", Madlax -- in the fansubs -- says "but I don't hate that".  Which is an awesome thing to say.  The "official" translation goes along the lines of "but I don't hate people like you", which kind of sucks.

I also prefered the fansub version of that. On repeat viewings I'll have to just try and tune it out and imagine Madlax saying it the better way. Similarly the official translation for Avenger is different than the fansubs for one of Layla Ashley's few recurring lines (maybe the only thing she says more than once other than "Volk..." and "Nei..."  ;D)

Episode 5 -- But as I said before, now we get a bit o' Chris Krana, and isn't it kind of weird that Ming Dulc looks quite a bit like the detective-dude from ep 4?

Huh, really?

It never really occured to me they looked alike and comparing the images I still don't see all that much of a resemblance. Then again since others have seen it so maybe I'm just wrong.

Spoiler: show
Of course, Madlax/Margaret/Laeticia and Carrossea/Poupee weren't exactly lookalikes...)

I'm enjoying reading these, I hope you can keep them up for the rest of the volumes.
"Make your point, Smee, before I make mine in your solar plexus."

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
I'm enjoying reading these, I hope you can keep them up for the rest of the volumes.

It'd be yet better, if he posted them as reviews somewhere on the main site. Because then, I could use them as material for Wikipedia while I can't do it with these since Pedia doesn't like forums. ^^

Ombrenuit

• Wait and Hope
  • True Fan
  • Day Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »
Their noses are very different hmm...

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
Yeah, okay, that one (Ming Dulc) was a bit of a stretch.  Anybody got a pic handy of Emperor Cawthrawn (sp?) though?

I'll try to keep pace with more of these (I'll be starting up again shortly).  I'm winging it for now, but at some point these can be the starting points for real articles on the "main" site (that I never seem to be able to finish...)

(and have you noticed that the more intoxicated I get, the more I use the word "awesome"?  Totally.  ;))
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:21:45 PM »
Madlax -- in the fansubs -- says "but I don't hate that".  Which is an awesome thing to say.  The "official" translation goes along the lines of "but I don't hate people like you", which kind of sucks.

Yeah I think "I don't hate that" sounds way more stylish and natural than the ADV version. It also sounds more in character with something Madlax would say...

Similarly the official translation for Avenger is different than the fansubs for one of Layla Ashley's few recurring lines (maybe the only thing she says more than once other than "Volk..." and "Nei..."  ;D)

Well, I kept the fansub version as my signature! ^^ The alternative really does take away the original feel to it. :-\

Yeah, okay, that one (Ming Dulc) was a bit of a stretch.  Anybody got a pic handy of Emperor Cawthrawn (sp?) though?

In case you missed it on the other post... ^^;

Ok, here they are! I think these three guys are one and the same person...