Author Topic: The reference thread  (Read 2788 times)

JP Yuri

• Japanese Yuri Fanfic Queen
  • True Fan
  • I do *what* with *who*?
    • View Profile
The reference thread
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:50:21 PM »
We all keep saying "Noir" this and "Madlax" that, and I thought we should make a reference thread, but no one's done it yet, so I am.

Episode 7 is the only episode I have on my hard drive, so forgive the meager amount of references.

Needless to say, this thread will probably contain Noir and Madlax spoilers.

First up: OMG Noir reference right in the opening!
Spoiler: show

Next: Ellis' hair is the new fork.

OMG it's Laetitia! I still think she's hiding something.

Finally: the Soldat from the Moonlit Tea Party!
Am I supposed to just walk up to someone and say 'Hello. My name's Kirika. I kill people in my spare time'?

Taco taco tacosu has a whole new meaning now. Thanks, Kakashi.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Re: The reference thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:11:56 AM »
Is this thread about general cultural references or just ones to the other BT works? ^^

- As someone mentioned in the episode 3 thread, the movie "Lone Wolf and Cub" is referenced by the police officer, describing Ricardo and Lirio.
- The impossible to miss reference to Noir and Madlax in episode 4:

- Illis is voiced by Kuwashima, Margarita (which in itself may be a reference to a certain Margaret) - by Ai Uchikawa, and Natalia - by Kobayashi. ^^'
- The bent spoon in episode 11 (10:14 in) is a reference to the Matrix. :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:28:34 AM by Koveras »

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:23:54 PM »
Is this thread about general cultural references or just ones to the other BT works? ^^
I think all references are good, though the BT ones are of the most interest.  But the "Lone Wolf and Cub" is one for sure, and I bet there's others.

- The bent spoon in episode 11 (10:14 in) is a reference to the Matrix. :P
I would add that it's perhaps more strongly a reference to Uri Geller, who was a famous psychic known particularly for his trick where he bends spoons.  One night back in the 70's he was a guest on Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show", and Johnny challenged him to bend a spoon from a collection that he brought instead of one of Geller's own, showing him up as a fraud.  Apparently he still manages to find corners of the world where he can do his tricks.

Plus, his name is "Uri", which is pronounced "yuri", and now people can officially say that this show has "yuri" in it.   ;)
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:15:17 AM »
On Dostoyevsky's The Idiot:

Spoiler: the novel "The Idiot" • show

"Nastasya" is the name of the woman that Prince Myshkin is, uh, smitten with in Dostevsky's "The Idiot"!  (at least that's the way it's spelled in the newer translation I have).

- White cat -- first thing you think of is Myshkin, right? -- 'cept the cat is female and more or less the opposite, having lived a long, pampered life.
- Girl with a Russian name that just happens to be very similar to the name of a central female "opposite" of The Idiot's own Prince Myshkin
- A book that was specifically called out in Noir.  Duh.  ;)

I started reading one of the translations yesterday, and it appears that aside from Myshkin-Chappy and Nastarsha-Nastasya, there's also a professor by the name of "Schneider".

Spoiler: Correct me if I'm wrong... • show
He appears to be the man who taught and took care of Prince Myshkin while he was abroad. That, of course, sets up a faint parallel between Myshkin and everyone-likes-her-Ellis. Faint, I said. :-X

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:58:26 AM »
Well, Schneider is a common German name but Myshkin's doctor WAS indeed called so (checked my copy of the original text). :) AND he was a professor, too. AND he took care of Myshkin for a long time before the start of the actual novel. So it's not that faint at all...

Plus, Ellis is a cat, anyway, with her mysterious connection to Chappy, L. "Sniper Cat" A., and all. =)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:06:02 AM by Koveras »

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:21:25 AM »
- Episode 09 (8:41): The Red Shoes ;) I think we have to start a wiki article about them already, don't we? ;)

---added---

Meh, I was bored...

Anyone can help me define the shoe type of the red shoes? I have zero knowledge of shoe fashion, so I can only think of "boat shoes" expression as it was mentioned by Nae (was it?) a year ago in Simoun thread...

nae

• Cute Evil Fan
  • True Fan
  • Taco taco tacosu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:24:45 PM »
I can't remember typing that... my English vocabulary doesn't cover shoes either.... "Gonsalez" or "Gonzalez", Koveras?

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 02:36:05 PM »

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:48:57 AM »
 Actually, Mireille also wears red shoes as a little child! In THE flashback, and back on the Intocabille's flashback too, I think. And the sort of shoes that Mireille wears as a child are more similar in style to those that Illis owns (don't know how it's called). The shoes Vanessa gives Margaret are regular dress shoes I think. The shoes chibi Margaret wears are the same style as those Kirika wears all the time (don't know how that is called either). And I think Madlax wears red shoes on several occasions, wearing one or more different white dresses, and with the flower field dress on episode 22. I think those are high heel shoes all the time.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »
Do be shy and add it to the article, please. Otherwise I'd feel all alone out there. ^^;

JP Yuri

• Japanese Yuri Fanfic Queen
  • True Fan
  • I do *what* with *who*?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
I just discovered last night that I'd saved more screenshots than I thought, so I uploaded them to Imgur here.

Additionally, here's the text file I'd made long ago:

cazzy-reference-op1--The bullets in the Madlax OP
cazzy-reference-op2--The wine glass in the Noir OP
cazzy-reference03-1--The floor in Mireille's flashback in Noir
cazzy-reference03-2--Kirika's robe
cazzy-reference03-3--Mireille's nighshirt (esp. with 03-2)
cazzy-reference04-1--Fork as weapon
cazzy-reference04-2--Noir and Madlax building, plus Noir picture
cazzy-reference07-1--Chloe's fork
cazzy-reference07-2--The Soldat from Noir Ep 11
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:01:04 AM by JP Yuri »
Am I supposed to just walk up to someone and say 'Hello. My name's Kirika. I kill people in my spare time'?

Taco taco tacosu has a whole new meaning now. Thanks, Kakashi.