Author Topic: .hack//G.U. Trilogy  (Read 5805 times)

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
.hack//G.U. Trilogy
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:41:19 PM »
 Found these torrents:

.hack//G.U. Trilogy Trailer - XviD version

.hack//G.U. Trilogy Trailer - h264 version

Not sure of what it is, but it seems like they'll release a movie made out of video footage from the .hack//G.U. games... or maybe it's new footage entirely, who knows! Anyway, I think this might be interesting for people who aren't interested in playing the games but wouldn't mind watching the story that comes after .hack//Roots! :)

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
Re: .hack//G.U. Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
So, anybody checked the movie out yet?

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
 I'm just getting around to download it now!

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
Well, you'll probably have hard time believing me but I've finally brought myself to watch the movie. :D My overall impression was pretty good, slightly better than of Roots, and I'd like to list some peculiarities I've noticed... First, the film is quite unorthodox in the sound department. The director certainly had no fear of using silence where appropriate or letting the dialogue be inaudible because of music. A very Bee Train-y decision. However, a hardcore BTF like me cannot forgive the stupid facial expressions (though they may have been an attempt to emulate the original games' style) and the fact that the character shout so much. Well, the authors probably wanted to make damn sure that this movie is marketed as shounen.

I've mentioned the music before but actually, I cannot recall any remarkable instrumental pieces right now. There are some nice songs, such as in the Haseo-Atoli-and-bubbles scene or in the very end. Speaking of Atoli, I found it extremely difficult to concentrate on her character rather than on her perfect zettai ryouiki. :D I mean, boots that seamlessly go over into white knee-highs? ZOMG O__O Anyhow, I found it a bit unsatisfactory that the whole plot basically boiled down to Haseo-vs-Ovan clash and Haseo-Atoli romance. From what I read on .hack//Wiki, there were more to G.U. games than that but I guess that was to be expected from a movie...

The film is very insider-ish (see the other thread): you'd probably go WTF every 30 seconds without knowing the entire background. For one, it doesn't even really explain what The World is and why is everyone playing it. Of course, that's a game adaptation. Also, the entire party concept of the original games is totally gone, I assume the directors didn't have enough screen time for all but the main characters. I like the graphics and the special effects, though. Still, that stream of blades of Haseo's is sooo a ripoff of Vexille and Fate/stay night.

Lastly, I loved the fact that Aura was never shown on screen albeit present. Leaves a nice sense of noble incompleteness, suggesting that there is much more to explore. What I didn't get, however, was the part after the ending credits. Is that a hint at a sequel? Was it in the original games at all? And, for crying out loud, wasn't that Hisakawa's voice? Kobayashi doesn't sound like that IIRC...

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Series: .hack//SIGN
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
did BEE TRAIN animate the films, or was it all CyberConnect's animation team?  I know Mashimo was involved in overseeing the of the game production and all but not so sure about the GU film

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
I didn't think Mashimo or Bee Train were at all involved with the GU film, but I could be wrong.
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:26 AM »
He wasn't involved with the film but I think Alex meant the cutscenes in the games themselves.

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Oh. Hmm, I honestly don't know...
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
Well that movie was really disappointing!

The adaption pretty much murdered the story line, I knew there was no way they could do the games justice in one 90 minute video.

The CG was great but a lot of the expressions were cheesy and badly created.

There was barley any music to speak of, the game's have far better music

The story jumped around too quickly.

Honestly, I say go play the games, you'll have much more fun and enjoy this far more

Baby Naruto

• Force Master
  • True Fan
    • View Profile
    • Baby_Naruto's MyAnimeList.Net Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:33 AM »
When will this be released to DVD english dubbed in the United States?

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »
Dubbed? I honestly doubt that it ever will be, given the chaos over licensing atm. I'll keep an eye/ear out, though.
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

Baby Naruto

• Force Master
  • True Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:01:54 AM »
Dubbed? I honestly doubt that it ever will be, given the chaos over licensing atm. I'll keep an eye/ear out, though.

I have high hopes that this will be dubbed, since most of everything .hack// anime related has been dubbed so far :D.

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

I have high hopes that this will be dubbed, since most of everything .hack// anime related has been dubbed so far :D.

This is true - but interest has dwindled somewhat from the earlier part of the decade, and I think you'd have to wait a while for even the most popular of series/films. It's hard enough to find decent *subs*, for crying loud out.
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

Baby Naruto

• Force Master
  • True Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »

This is true - but interest has dwindled somewhat from the earlier part of the decade, and I think you'd have to wait a while for even the most popular of series/films. It's hard enough to find decent *subs*, for crying loud out.

Well, I'm still gonna believe that it will be dubbed, so w/e.

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:20:49 AM »
It wouldn't be worth the wait.  Take it from me BabyNaruto, play the games if you want a fulfilling watch.