Author Topic: "Batman: Gotham Knight" segment by Bee Train??  (Read 16294 times)

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
"Batman: Gotham Knight" segment by Bee Train??
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:59:49 PM »
I was perusing Google News at work, and my one search for Bee Train came up with a review of the new collection of Batman-inspired anime over on DVD Talk:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33776/batman-gotham-knight/

The third episode "Field Test" was written by Jordan Goldberg, directed by Hiroshi Morioka, and produced by Bee Train (Tsubasa Chronicles and Noir). This particular episode was interesting because it showed a significantly younger Bruce Wayne working with Lucius Fox to test out some new equipment. Fox and company have recently applied a piece of technology that creates magnetic distortions at whim. This allows Bruce to harness its power to create a bullet proof shield of sorts that renders all close range guns useless. It's ideal for Batman if you think about it because he refuses to use a gun but there's a twist towards the end that makes him reconsider its usefulness.

The plot here is a tad lighter with the Russian and Maroni being brought up again but the main focus is on Bruce's exploration of new gadgets. One thing I enjoyed about this episode was the artistic design that was used. I felt that Batman's costume was very similar to the old Gatchaman series and after listening to the audio commentary I'm pleased to hear that I wasn't the only one.

So sure enough, on the announcement about the directors on ANN, Hiroshi Morioka is mentioned, though not specifically Bee Train.

There was one more review that Google News caught, with a less-than-positive light (to say the least):
Unfortunately, the third piece is a bit of a let-down. Entitled “Field Test,” it is scripted by Batman Begins and The Dark Knight producer Jordan Goldberg, directed by Hiroshi Morioka, and bizarrely animated by .hack and Noir production company Bee Train. It focuses on the high-tech gadgets, as Bruce and Lucius Fox discuss an invention to help make Batman bullet-proof. Bruce goes out to test the capabilities of the device against the warring mob factions and discovers two things in one fell swoop: that not all inventions work as well in theory as they do in practice, and that putting one’s life on the line is different than risking the lives of others. The plot of this piece is interesting, if a little too sci-fi, and it presents a nice character piece on the lengths Bruce is willing to go as Batman. Unfortunately, the animation kills this piece. Bee Train’s depiction of Bruce presents him both as entirely too young and, frankly, looking nothing like any previous version of the character. The Bruce Wayne in this piece could have been easily interchangeable with any number of generic anime hero characters, and it’s simply too jarring of a depiction for the short to have any real effectiveness. The other depictions are not quite as drastic, but still find themselves quite different, and it destroys the continuity of the six pieces a little bit.

But, in contrast, here's the official ANN review's take on the same segment:

This leads into one of the stronger stories in the film, Field Test. This is probably the most traditional short film in Gotham Knight; it looks like high-end anime with very stereotypical character designs (ask yourself if you'd ever really want to see bishonen Bruce Wayne; if the answer is yes, this will be your personal favorite). Field Test finds Wayne testing out a new high-tech system for deflecting bullets, developed by genius inventor Lucius Fox (who fans will remember from Batman Begins, played there by Morgan Freeman and here by veteran voice actor Kevin Michael Richardson). When he uses it in the middle of a heated battle between the aforementioned mob bosses, he accidentally deflects a bullet straight into a gangster's chest, and since Batman doesn't kill people he winds up having to take the guy to the hospital and shelves his new bullet-deflecting technology. It's nothing particularly special, but it's not bad.

So now I'm curious... I figure since it was simultaneously released in the US, I should be able to Netflix the DVDs shortly so I can confirm for myself...

EDIT: Called it "Gothic", not "Gotham".  Yeesh.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:13:19 PM by Fellini 8.5 »
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Re: "Batman: Gotham Knight" segment by Bee Train??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »
 Oh wow, this is really great surprising news! Definitely wanna see this! Batman was allways my favorite hero and I never thought it would be turned into anime, and much less animated by our favorite studio! ;D

I'm really excited they compare this project with Animatrix, considering how well regarded it is, animation wise. If this is meant to be as high quality and visual astonishing, I'm really happy for Bee Train for getting a take on it too. It sure says something about the studio's reputation, and it's definitely not a bad thing! :)

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »
Well, I've known about this for sometime (Wikipedia knows it before you do - no exceptions), but since I was never a fan of superhero comics, I didn't pay much attention to it. As for the reviews, Bee Train is polarizing the public, as usual. ^^

noirlax

• The Doon
  • True Fan
  • "Don't try to kill me, I'm cute"
    • View Profile
    • My devart account
  • Favorite Series: Noir
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:02:35 PM »
Great news! I didn't know that. From what I can see it looks interesting.

Well, I've known about this for sometime (Wikipedia knows it before you do - no exceptions), but since I was never a fan of superhero comics, I didn't pay much attention to it. As for the reviews, Bee Train is polarizing the public, as usual. ^^

;D polarising indeed, from what I gather its people having mixed views on Bee Train's visual interpretation of Batman.
"Even when...I was in a crowd, I was always alone." Mireille Bouquet

"A life that continues while your own will isn't reflected anywhere is nothing but pain." Gwen McNicol

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Noirlax

Teufel

• True Fan
  • My grunty's cooler than your grunty
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Series: .hack//SIGN
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:29:47 PM »
Oh, I hadn't really been interested in this project, but now I'll have to check it out. Kevin Conroy as Batman, always a plus.  :)
"Make your point, Smee, before I make mine in your solar plexus."

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:03:40 AM »
I don't think BEE TRAIN did it.  I think it's their way if implicating Horishi Morioka.  It's possible BEE TRAIN may have done something like in-between work as I.G always brings in dozens of In-betweener's.  But I'll rent the DVD and check. 

Ombrenuit

• Wait and Hope
  • True Fan
  • Day Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
It said on Netflix that Mashimo directed the bee train story.

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
Well, I just got the BluRay from Netflix, and though I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing for-real, I couldn't help but jump to "Field Test" and check it out.

The first thing I noticed was just how frickin' young they really did make Bruce Wayne.  The next thing I noticed was that it was so very, very Bee-Train-y.  :D 

There was a bit of a mental disconnect hearing Kevin Conroy's voice with what could have been a cross between Carrouseur and Orpheus from Meine Liebe -- I've watched so much of the classic Animated Series, and he looks nothing like what I'm used.  But listening to the commentary, it sounds like they wanted him younger on-purpose, so there you have it.

The commentary had a couple of "I think this is the best [whatever] in the movie" for different sequences.  It also had one line that made me laugh -- when Batman shows up in his new armor, one of the commentators pointed out that he was the first "Gatchaman-Batman".  And sure enough... !   And seeing as Mashimo's first claim to fame was way back in the Gatchaman days, that was probably on-purpose, maybe even an in-joke.  8)

In the credits, Mashimo is the segment producer, and Bee Train is definitely the studio.  Not to mention that Bee Train was tweening just about every other episode (except for the Korean one I think) -- in fact, it looks like just about every single studio and shop in the whole country wound up with their fingers in this.  Makes sense, because it's rather a lot of drawings to go through.

I haven't quite figured out how to get screencaps from my BluRay player software yet, but I'll see what I can come up with later.

Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »
 I just saw it too! Not the whole thing but the Bee Train episode in particular, and I really liked it! As usual, I didn't notice all those things worth complaining about in the animation that Bee Train haterz seem to spot so immediately. It looks cool to me! I actually liked their portrayal of Bruce Wayne and Batman, it looks different and somewhat refreshing. The Gatchaman armour is fitting and I didn't think Bruce looked that young. From all the comments I've read before I was kinda expecting him to look like a kid. :D He's just slightly bishounen but looks quite mature in my opinion. Here are some screenshots:

Bruce Wayne 1

Bruce Wayne 2

Bruce Wayne 3

Bruce Wayne 4

Bruce Wayne 5

Batman 01

Batman 02

Batman 03

Batman 04

Batman 05

Batman 06

Batman 07

Batman 08

Batman 09

Batman 10

Yoshitsune

• ( ◕‿‿◕ )
  • True Fan
  • 生きる時も死ぬ時も, 永遠 に 二人はともにあること.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 08:41:26 PM »
I'm surprised to see Bruce, unlike The Batman series, he looks so young and anime now, they also have changed his hair color.
"True talents are doomed to remain unappreciated by fools."

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
The chap who introduced me to Noir was a huge Batman fan...I wonder if he knows of this :D
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:42:42 AM »
Spoiler: Bishounen Batman • show
[yt=425,350]r8AJ4TQXby8[/yt]

^^;;;
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:39:35 AM by MartAnimE »

Teufel

• True Fan
  • My grunty's cooler than your grunty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 02:34:55 PM »
Oy, that was mind-numbingly bad.
"Make your point, Smee, before I make mine in your solar plexus."