Author Topic: Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜 (April 2009) Discussion Thread  (Read 66573 times)

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
  • Favorite Series: .hack//SIGN
That's right everyone BEE TRAIN has a new production in their sights!  Yes ANN's news article reads as stated:

The January issue (on sale on December 10) of Kadokawa Shoten's Newtype magazine will announce that the multimedia studio Nitroplus and writer Gen Urobuchi (Blassreiter) are adapting their Phantom of Inferno visual novel software as a television anime series
. Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜 will feature the director Koichi Mashimo (.Hack franchise, Blade of the Immortal, Noir) and series script supervisor Yousuke Kuroda (Demonbane, Gungrave, Mobile Suit Gundam 00).

Yoshimitsu Yamashita (Blade of the Immortal, Murder Princess), Mutsumi Sasaki (Murder Princess, .hack//Roots episode animation director), Yoko Kikuchi (Arc the Lad anime, Noir, .hack//Legend Of The Twilight) and other artists will adapt the game characters for anime. The anime studio Bee Train will be in charge of production. The original game was previously adapted in 2004 as a three-volume video anime series, Phantom - The Animation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:08:19 PM by AlexShadow »

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
  • Favorite Series: Madlax
Re: NEW BEE TRAIN ANIME!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
 What? ZOMG if this is true this is so awesome! :o

I played this game and it's very very Noir! Almost suspiciously so! Totally GwG! :D

I did check the previous 2004 OAV adaptation, but honestly I don't think it made the game justice. Bee Train most probably will though! ;D

Teufel

• True Fan
  • My grunty's cooler than your grunty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:40:36 AM »
Plot doesn't sound that strong and main characters having numbers in German as names is kind of dumb, but yay new Bee Train! ;D Maybe it'll turn out better than it sounds or BT will make it work. I for one loved Tsubasa, so I have no problem with their doing their own thing.
"Make your point, Smee, before I make mine in your solar plexus."

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:03:20 AM »
Yay for Kuroda's involvement. If there's one guy who can turn any story to gold, it's him. %) I wonder if they are gonna get Kajiura to work with them on this one...

Btw, isn't this thread better off in the All Series board?

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
I agree I like Kuroda being involved but I really wish he was actually writing instead of supervising

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
 Yeah, this thread belongs in the All Series board... I'm also hoping for Yuki Kajiura music! ;D

The German number names aren't actually the character's real names!
Spoiler: show
They've been renamed like that after being brainwashed by some random evil German scientist guy. :D

The main character in the game is Zwei, a male (can we still call it GwG -> Guy with Gun? :D )!
Spoiler: show
And Ein is quite the Kirika clone (with a bit less personality at the start), and later on we get Drei, a blond who likes to dress in red (and carries a pocketwatch!). These superficial similarities between Phantom and Noir have been discussed before, but I heard the original first Phantom game was actually released before 2001...

Anyway, I think with all the similarities being taken into account there's no better studio to pick it up than Bee Train! They do have a history of picking what might seem like a similar plot at the start and turn it into something completely new and independent from other previous works, in my opinion, the best example being what they did with Noir and Madlax! :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:05:36 PM by MartAnimE »

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜 Discussion Thread
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Okay everyone, BEE TRAIN's potential future project the adaption of the visual novel game. Directed by Koichi Mashimo, supervised by Yosuke Kuroda (MADLAX) and featuring the art designs of  Yoshimitsu Yamashita (Blade of the Immortal, Murder Princess), Mutsumi Sasaki (Murder Princess, .hack//Roots), Yoko Kikuchi (Arc the Lad anime, Noir, .hack//Legend Of The Twilight).

So speculate, cheer, cry, whatever you want to do in this thread.

Of course the big question on our minds right now I'm sure will be: Will Kajiura compose?  (We can only hope)

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
Re: Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜 Discussion Thread
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »
I've merged the two threads together so the existing speculation doesn't get lost.

Thanks for spotting this AlexShadow!  I had been looking daily for any hint of any news of anything for Bee Train, and totally missed out on it yesterday.  I'm looking forward to more detail once the NewType gets published in a couple of days.

Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

MartAnimE

• Portugoose
  • Administrator
  • This is Parta~!
    • View Profile
    • My teespring store!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:10:03 PM by MartAnimE »

Fellini 8.5

• Film Snob
  • ASA NISI MASA
    • View Profile
    • Kineska
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
A scan of the NewType announcement floating around:

Guess there won't be much more news right away, then.
Fellini 8.5
kineska.blogspot.com -- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
www.beetrainfan.org -- Noir, Madlax, .hack, El Cazador & much more!

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
I wonder why the series is gonna be titled differently from the original game. Can it be that Bee Train would be granted a permission to write their own story? That'd be totally awesome, now that Kuroda's involved.

Matrim

• True Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Why do they need so many characters desingers?! ;D

I can't say I am too thrilled by Bee Train going for an adaptation again but at least this time they seem to have picked source material closer to their forte.

I am getting a bit confused whether the original writer will write the anime plot with soem help from Kuroda or vice versa. In any case, let us hoep we will witness the Kuroda of Madlax and not say of Best Student Council or Gundam 00.
I am the pain when you touch the truth.

Koveras

• Crazy in the Head
  • DM
  • Deny everything
    • View Profile
    • Koveras.net
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 06:21:27 AM »
I can't say I am too thrilled by Bee Train going for an adaptation again but at least this time they seem to have picked source material closer to their forte.

Well, Madlax had three character designers, too, though, granted, it was an original series...

In any case, let us hoep we will witness the Kuroda of Madlax and not say of Best Student Council or Gundam 00.

Actually, I like his writing for G00 very much, especially in the second season. :)

kavi

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
Looks good. Let me know when there's a website!
---
Would you like some tea?

---
RPG things:

Current Campaign

AlexShadow

• DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »
Why do they need so many characters desingers?! ;D

I am getting a bit confused whether the original writer will write the anime plot with soem help from Kuroda or vice versa. In any case, let us hoep we will witness the Kuroda of Madlax and not say of Best Student Council or Gundam 00.

I'm guessing so far they may still be selecting a writer while Kuroda will be supervising.  It could be a protege of Kuroda or not.  I'm speculating of course.  I wish Kuroda would take up principal writing, he's a very good writer.

And nothing wrong with a few character designers :)  

Also isn't it a tad early to call it on a 2009 airing?   No dates have been announced, they may spend the next year producing it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:33:49 PM by AlexShadow »